Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Taste & Create: Thali - Aloo Fry

Hej, hej!

Remember my Thali from Taste & Create way back? Well... I've been paired with PJ of Seduce Your Tastebuds once again and I feel this is the optimum opportunity for me to finally get around to posting the full recipes I made last time... thus reminding both you and me how awesome they are! (It's a sign from the Gods, I tell you!)

Top: Tomato Riata, Aloo Fry, Garlicky Spinach Rice
Centre: Black Sesame Chutney
Bottom: Sambar made with home-made Sambar Powder
Although I really liked (most) of the dishes I made... Far and away my favourite (and the one I've made most often since) was PJ's Aloo Fry...


The crunch provided by the whole spices and slightly crispy fried potatoes in this dish really blew me away. Think; pan roasted, Indian spiced roast potatoes!

*drool*

Most of the spices required here (mustard seed, cumin seed, coriander seed) are not all that "unusual" and if, as a student, you were to go out and buy a packet - I'm sure you'd find many reasons to use them again and again. (Packet curries very rarely stand up to their homemade counterparts). The fenugreek (kasuri methi) leaves are a liiitle bit more unusual... and although they definitely add an enjoyable extra dimension to the dish; I hope I'll be forgiven for suggesting that you can probably get away without them if it's beyond your means.

Do try this dish out! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!



You'll need:

3 potatoes, cubed and boiled until cooked but still firm and drained (I like to leave the skins on)
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground turmeric
salt to taste

1 tsp coriander seeds (slightly crushed)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, finely diced

1 Tbsp kasuri methi

Toss the potatoes in the chilli, turmeric and salt until evenly coated.

Heat a frying pan with the oil and toss in the whole spices. Cook until the mustard starts to pop. Then add in the onion; fry again until the onion in translucent.

Throw in the potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Allow to cook for 5 ish minutes stirring occasionally; until a lovely, golden brown.

Take off the heat and sprinkle over the kasuri methi.

Enjoy as a side dish with other curries or as a main with an egg on the side. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment