Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sweet, Skint Lentils and Rice

I put a lot of faith into Sam when I tried out this recipe... literally all it is is rice, lentils and onions... but, as he promises it is "surprisingly gorgeous".

I made this one day, two weeks after I last went to the supermarket... my cupboards were getting pretty bare! - But we had to eat! Lentils for protein, rice to bulk it out and onion to make it taste good... truly - that's all you need!

This is a very low effort meal, even if it takes a little while to cook - but you don't actually have to do a lot to it!

I've made this since, and will do so again - whether my cupboards are near empty, or I just got back from the supermarket... Skint Lentils and Rice are here to stay!


You'll need (to feed two):

2 onions, finely sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil

600ml, water
110g green, puy lentils (soaked)
50g brown rice (soaked)
salt and pepper to taste.

Caramelise your sliced onions in the olive oil, over a low heat - could take up to an hour!

Meanwhile, bring water to a boil, and salt. Add in soaked lentils (you don't have to soak them - I just do)
and cook until almost tender (up to 20minutes) - add in rice and boil for another 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. If the water doesn't absorb - drain the rice and lentils.

Stir through most of the onions, leaving some back to garnish. Season to taste and serve. In a large bowl. With two forks...



No comments:

Post a Comment