Saturday, June 18, 2011

Taste & Create 2: Curried, Roasted Chickpeas

I'm Tasting & Creating twice this month!

My second entry is TL&LoG'sHB's Curried, Roasted Chickpeas:


Cruchy, protein-rich Study Noms
 They're so yummy that you'll eat most of 'em straight off the roasting pan and then have to pour what little are left into a shot glass so that it looks like you actually made a decent quantity...

And, LOOK! Books! And study notes! I am a real student who actually studies! Proof!

You believe me now, right?  I made these to be my study snacks while I prepare for my upcoming Behaviour Analysis exam... much better than the traditional chocolate and junk food route! :)

Click on for the recipe:

This is adapted from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's HoneyBunch's Recipe:

Just about every recipe for these little nuggets of joy I've seen called for canned chickpeas... I didn't have any of those, but I did have the real, dried deal! They're easy enough to prepare - just soak 'em over night and the boil in plenty of water until soft-ish... Then dry them before preparing this recipe! Otherwise you'll have soggy chickpeas that need roasted for an extra 15 minutes - listen to the Voice of Experience!

Ingredients:

1 can drained/and de-soggied chickpeas OR 1/2 cup dried chickpeas prepared as above
2 Tbsp oil

1/2 tsp cumin, tumeric
1 tsp gharam masala
1/4 tsp dried chilli
2 tsp salt

OR other herb/spice combination of your choice!

Combine flavourings and oil in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir, then leave for 30 minutes to infuse.

Set oven to 180 degrees C and line a roasting lin with foil.

Stir the non-soggy/wet chickpeas into the oil and tip onto the tray.

Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes - until crunchy!

(Remember - if you forget to dry out your chickpeas first - this'll take longer!)

Eat, and feel virtuous.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kat, Made this for taste and create and enjoyed it last evening. Loved to munch on this while I was reading a book..Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete